Thursday, January 28, 2010

The iPad Is Like Holding The Future. But Only Because I Graduated From iPhone School.

When the iPhone first launched in 2007 I was sure I wasn't going to buy one. Then I played with one. 15 minutes later I was $600 poorer. It was arguably the best tech purchase I've ever made. After the Apple event today, I got a chance to play with the new iPad for quite a bit of time. My takeaway? The thing is beautiful and fast. Really fast. If you'll excuse my hyperbole, it felt like I was holding the future. But is it a must-have? That's a complicated question. The quick and dirty answer is: for many people, right now, no. Unlike the iPhone, which filled an already well-established need (cellular telephone usage), there is no existing need the iPad fills. That is, unless you're an iPhone or iPod touch user. If that's the case, the iPad does fill a couple of needs — it's the best way to use apps, and more importantly, the best way to browse the web in a style that is likely your preferred method: by touching it.

No comments: